[SNEC] Feb 2021: Synergetics & Comprehensivity News; Mistake Mystique Wed 9PM EST

Mon Feb 15 17:26:27 EST 2021

Here are the news items I managed to collect since last month:

1. Forthcoming Comprehensivist Wednesdays events:

   In order to RSVP to attend, you must join either the 52
   Living Ideas meetup (https://www.meetup.com/52LivingIdeas/)
   or the Greater Philadelphia Thinking Society meetup
   (https://www.meetup.com/thinkingsociety). Joining either group will
   require joining Meetup.com (https://meetup.com) which is a free
   on-line service with strong privacy controls. Once you are a member,
   you can RSVP to join the event from the link to its Event Page.

 ● What: Mistake Mystique in Learning and in Life
   When: Wednesday, 17 February 2021 from 9-11 PM (New York time zone).

   Building on Buckminster Fuller's 1977 essay "Mistake Mystique" and
   Stuart Firestein's 2012 book on "Ignorance", we will explore some
   implications for our comprehensivity, our inclination to integrate
   all our sources of learning so as to better comprehend the world and
   how it works.

   Essay: https://www.cjfearnley.com/CfC/2021/02/mistake-mystique-in-learning-and-in-life/

   Event at 52 Living Ideas:
   https://www.meetup.com/52LivingIdeas/events/twpxvryccdbwb/
   Event at the Greater Philadelphia Thinking Society:
   https://www.meetup.com/thinkingsociety/events/276295518/

 ● What: Leading Thinkers in Polymathy Studies with Dr. Angela Cotellessa
   When: Wednesday, 21 February 2021 from 2:30-4:30 PM (New York time zone).

   Event at 52 Living Ideas:
   https://www.meetup.com/52LivingIdeas/events/276096109/

2. Daniel Ari Friedman continues his a livesteam series reading and
   reflecting on the text of Bucky's "Synergetics". I cannot watch that
   many videos per month. In his second one he explores §1009.50-57
   Acceleration, §935.23-25 on subatomic particles, and §1023.10-15
   on Systematic Enclosure. Synergetics Livestream #002.0 is at
   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWklqsSoYHg

   My summaries are trailing his latest videos by quite
   a lot. To find all his videos go to his YouTube page:
   https://www.youtube.com/c/DanielFriedman72/videos

3. Kirby Urner participated in the Trimtab Book Club telling stories about
   people in the Bucky Universe:
   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAfCqEBY7HM

   To join the google group and its Zoom meetups, reach out to Curt
   McNamara at curtmcn at gmail.com.

   Currently they are working on the book "Pattern Thinking" by Daniel
   Lopez-Perez. Their next meetings are scheduled for
    ∙ Feb 20, 2021 11:00 AM Central Time
    ∙ Mar 6, 2021 11:00 AM Central Time
    ∙ Mar 20, 2021 11:00 AM Central Time

4. Curtis Palmer put three wonderfully animated videos of excerpts from
   Synergetics in a series entitled "In Out Around"
   https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy6eYsf-5ovmsEXdPE0A11Y_QZ_c1I7Lm
   1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYaXD9m2GMc
   2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPL0j9K4X5o
   3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_NHU6RZWCs

5. I found this 2019 video from Kelly Ritchie's Bucky study group looking
   at individual responsibility based on a reading from "Critical Path"
   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0Xh-Y2vV40

6. Someone reminded me that efforts continue to restore the
   Buckminster Fuller dome home in Carbondale, IL.
   https://fullerdomehome.com/

7. Dick Fischbeck noticed that Alec Nevala-Lee is working on a biography
   of Buckminster Fuller
   https://nevalalee.wordpress.com/2018/11/16/a-fuller-life/

8. Bob Gray found this interesting slide deck on "Symmetry Math" by Jack
   Kuykendall which finds a fundamental problem in "broken-symmetry"
   mathematics that it hopes to correct (I could not follow the details):
   https://www.slideserve.com/regina/symmetry-math-sm-by-jack-kuykendall

9. Comprehensivist Wednesdays has organized 7 events since the last
   Synergetics Collaborative announcement. Here are links to video and
   other materials from these past events.

 * 20 January 2021: Neuroscience: A Child’s Mind
   Event Page: https://www.meetup.com/52LivingIdeas/events/twpxvrycccbbc/
   Alt Page: https://www.meetup.com/thinkingsociety/events/275761595/
   Video (1h 12m): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWM_KUw0zV0

 * 24 January 2021: Paradoxes of Polymathy with Dr. Angela Cotellessa
   Event Page: https://www.meetup.com/52LivingIdeas/events/275791944/
   Video (1h 34m): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc2Cg-dpyqo

 * 27 January 2021: Destruction & Creation: A Method of Thinking by John Boyd
   Event Page: https://www.meetup.com/52LivingIdeas/events/275797144/
   Alt Page: https://www.meetup.com/thinkingsociety/events/275832452/
   Video (1h 25m): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiXxs8z0DWg

 * 3 February 2021: Ignorance & Questions
   Event Page: https://www.meetup.com/52LivingIdeas/events/twpxvryccdbfb/
   Alt Page: https://www.meetup.com/thinkingsociety/events/275832549/
   Video (1h 44m): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz8hndPY3MI

 * 7 February 2021: Intrapersonal Diversity in Polymaths with Dr. Angela
   Cotellessa
   Event Page: https://www.meetup.com/52LivingIdeas/events/276096012/
   Video: Not yet available

 * 7 February 2021: Dante's La Vita Nuova
   Event Page: https://www.meetup.com/52LivingIdeas/events/hmlddsyccdbkb/
   Alt Page: https://www.meetup.com/thinkingsociety/events/275666679/
   Video (2h 12m): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP3hf-B8nwI

 * 10 February 2021: Thoughts on CHANGE from 103 Great Ideas
   Event Page: https://www.meetup.com/52LivingIdeas/events/twpxvrycccbkc/
   Alt Page: https://www.meetup.com/thinkingsociety/events/275832715/
   Video: Not yet available

  The Comprehensivist Wednesdays series is an initiative of 52
  Living Ideas (https://www.meetup.com/52LivingIdeas/events/),
  the Greater Philadelphia Thinking Society
  (https://www.meetup.com/thinkingsociety/events/) and "Collaborating
  for Comprehensivism" (https://www.cjfearnley.com/CfC/).

Let me know of other news in the world of Synergetics that we should
know about.

The Synergetics Collaborative (SNEC) is a 501(c)(3) educational and
scientific non-profit organization. To make a tax deductible contribution,
please mail a check to
   Synergetics Collaborative
   240 Copley Road
   Upper Darby, PA 19082-4016

--
“One of humanity's prime drives is to understand and be understood”
R. Buckminster Fuller in “Operating Manual for Spaceship Earth”